Locker pod decoration competition declares juniors the winners

Image via the Sentinel
Image via the Sentinel

Students from each grade level decorated their locker pods last Monday morning for a spirit week competition, with each grade having an assigned color to decorate with. This competition is student-led by leadership with the final vote declaring juniors the 2023 winners.

Students used inspiration from the Homecoming theme of “Soaring Through Neverland.” Freshmen decorated with green, sophomores with blue, juniors with yellow, and seniors had orange. 

While counselors like Mrs. Westfall judged the decorations, the students in leadership created the rubric and are a large part of the planning process. With the help of counselors, the judging process can become as unbiased as possible, giving all grade levels a fair chance to compete.

The students at South Lakes take the process of decorating seriously. 

“I love getting to see all the hard work that the students put in. Most of them are here by 6:30 that morning,” says Mrs. Westfall, a South Lakes counselor.

Walking around the school, seeing the decorations of both the hallways and the locker pods, can be a positive experience for new students. Spirit week is a collaborative, creative way to get them excited for Homecoming and introduce the South Lakes tradition. 

“I love spirit week, it’s a great chance within the first few weeks of school, specifically for our freshmen and new students to get a feel of how south lakes is,” says Mrs. Westfall.

The freshmen locker pod was decorated in green with multi-colored tissue paper flowers and leis on the side.

Image via the Sentinel

The sophomores decorated with blue and silver tassels, as well as jellyfish made of pink and blue paper hanging from the wall.

Image via the Sentinel

Juniors used their color yellow to decorate.  Keeping the theme of Peter Pan in mind, they had a section decorated like Pixie Hollow.

Image via the Sentinel

The seniors decked out their locker pod with orange streamers and paper flowers. The Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior locker pods are all decorated with the personality of the students at South Lakes.

Image via the Sentinel

The final results declared juniors the winners for locker pod decorating. The sophomores got second. The seniors were third, and the freshmen were fourth.

Seniors won the overall spirit award with 49 spirit points, juniors in second, sophomores in third, and freshmen in fourth. As seen above, the students at South Lakes used their creativity to decorate and compete in the locker pod competition.