Readers recommend “Better Than the Movies”

Image via Amazon
Image via Amazon

The New York Times bestselling book “Better Than the Movies,” written by Lynn Painter, is a modern day success story. Even though it was released on May 4, 2021, it recently experienced a surge in popularity on BookTok. BookTok is a community on the social media app TikTok where people talk about books. “Better Than the Movies” started trending on the app, and readers were quick to fall in love with the heartwarming young adult novel.

“Better Than the Movies” follows Liz Buxbuam, a hopeless romantic who wants to secure a happy ending with her childhood crush after he moves back in town. She will do whatever it takes to make him her prom date, even if it means she has to fake date her nemesis neighbor, Wes Bennett. As they continue to work together, Liz gets confused about her feelings and has to rethink her definition of her happy ending. 

On Goodreads the rom com book has a 4.29 star rating. Many readers were charmed by this book and formed connections to the lovable characters. One reader said, “Every aspect was so good and so well written. Once I hit the middle I stayed up super late and read the whole second half of the book in one sitting. What I would give to read this book for the first time again.” Fans also enjoyed the book’s playlist, which includes songs that the characters mention and relate to in the story. 

Better Than the Movies” is available through Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and Audible. There is a sequel called “Nothing Like the Movies” coming out on October 4, 2024, and fans are excited to see what book two will bring. If someone wants to stick with the trends on BookTok or enjoy a fantastic story, “Better Than the Movies” is the book to read!